Potato salad with lamb’s lettuce, leek, bacon
Potato salad is a very traditional dish in Austria, most of the time it comes with Wiener Schnitzel. But there’s a way to make your potatoes salad a real great meal. I got this special salad with lamb’s lettuce, leek, bacon on a bed of mixed green salad in a small tavern in upper Austria. And really got addicted to it. This salad has even convinced my non-salad-eating boyfriend.
- 500 g potatoes
- 200 g lamb’s lettuce
- 1 leek
- 200 g bacon (sliced)
- 200 g mixed green salad
- 1 red onion
- Corn oil
- Sour cream
- Olive oil
- Cook the potatoes, let them cool and peel them.
- In the meantime cut leek in thin slices and cut the bacon in small pieces.
- Take a pan, put oil in it and roast the bacon and leek. Let it cool down a bit.
- For the dressing take 2 tablespoons of sour cream, a squirt of mustard, a few drops olive oil and vinegar to taste. Mix well and flavour with salt and pepper.
- Now cut the onions in thin slices and put them in a bowl. Cut the potatoes in slices and add them.
- Add the lamb’s lettuce.
- Then mix it with corn oil and vinegar, add salt and pepper.
- For serving put the mixed green salad on the plates and cover it with the prepared dressing.
- Spread the potato salad on the prepared salad bed, and top it off with the bacon leek mixture.
Tips & Tricks
You can make this salad even better if you use vinegar with taste (elder, raspberry) for the dressing. Serve it with a slice of brown bread.