Dumplings are very famous in Austria and they come in many different types. Potato dumplings are called “Waldviertler Knödel” in German, after the region they come from. They fit perfectly to meat such as roast pork.
- 500 g potatoes
- 70 g semolina
- 80 g flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter (liquid)
- 80 g dry bread cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter for roasting
- Cook the potatoes, let them cool down, peel them and put them in the potato ricer.
- Mix the riced potatoes with semolina, flour and salt.
- Add egg yolks and liquid butter.
- Work the mixture into dough.
- Roast the dry bread cubes in butter and mix them with the dough.
- Then form dumplings.
- Bring water to boil and cook the dumplings for about 12 minutes, until they swim on the surface.
Tips & Tricks
If you cover the dumplings with butter crumbs they taste even better. You can also use chives to sprinkle the dumplings.