When I was a little kid we used to have an American neighbor that used to bring us goodies she baked. One of my favorite was banana bread, something I haven’t had for over 20 years now since it is not well known or common in Austria. This weekend, seeing a bunch of overripe bananas in our fruit bowl, I had the sudden urge to bake some banana bread and it tasted just as good as I remember it!
285 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 110 g butter
- 225 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 ripe bananas
- 85 ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl
- In a second bowl mix the butter and sugar together, this works quicker if you gently melt the butter beforehand
- Add the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla extract and mix well
- Chop in the banana and mix till smooth
- Fold in the flour mixture
- Grease a loaf tin and pour in cake mixture
- Bake for about ab hour until well-risen and golden-brown
- Remove from the oven and cool for a few minutes in the tin, then remove onto a wire rack and let it cool completely before serving
Tips & Tricks
Instead of greasing the tin just lay in some baking liner, makes it easier to remove and clean.
Add cinnamon, nutmeg or ground gloves according to your taste.